Well, there are no words that I have in the English language to describe the Glory of the Lord that was poured on this nation when we arrived with the cross on Saturday, March 19, 1994.

My wife, Denise and I had planned to get a taxi from the airport to our hotel and start the crosswalk the next day. We did not know anyone in the country and we were not aware anyone knew we were coming. We got our bags and went outside.
Hundreds of people were outside the airport’¦waiting for the cross! Denise got a ride to the hotel and I felt led to start carrying the cross from the airport.

I preached to the crowd and discovered that the radio and newspapers had been reporting our flight arrival and about the cross walk around the world. The police told me later that about thirty thousand people were along the highway into the city of Port-Vila. This was almost the entire population.

The traffic was bumper to bumper, slowly creeping along. The radio station was broadcasting my progress. The place was electric with anticipation. Hands were outreached to touch the cross. I passed out gospel materials, but my supply was soon gone. I preached a short message of Jesus every block or so and invited people to know and follow Jesus. It was a family gathering with people having food and drink with their children on top of cars and trucks.

People would applaud as the cross came near. Many were crying and others rejoicing. I have no idea how many came to Jesus. It was just unreal. No one organized this reception. We did not know anyone in this country. Another evangelist and pastor pushed his way to me and asked, “Who organized this.” I replied, “Jesus! ”

The whole city was astir! Just as it was getting dark. I saw police lined up across the street and sidewalks blocking the way. I stopped and they called me forward. They were lined up to shake my hand! I passed a disco club and the people ran out to greet the cross. I reached the hotel well after dark and the hotel manager gave me a fruit drink and a garland of flowers. I was wet with sweat and exhausted. So many people came to the hotel and to our room the hotel management had to post a guard so Denise and I could sleep!

What a glorious and Jesus glorifying day and what a welcome for the
cross. So many received Jesus.

Denise and I rented a car to go on around the island. Denise would drive up the road in front of me several miles, she would then park with water and supplies and wait until I arrived. Often a crowd would be gathered around her and the car. She would pass out Jesus stickers and gospel material to the people. She always greeted me smiling and cheerful. Most ofthe time it was very hot and there she sat in the baking heat of the car waiting for me. She is the tough one of the two of us!

God bless Vanuatu

Pilgrim followers of Jesus,

Arthur and Denise Blessitt
Luke 18:1